It may seem innocent enough: you’re a college student who wants to hang out with your friends at a bar or watch a concert at a 21-plus venue, but you’re not yet 21. So you get a fake ID so you, too, can join in the fun. What you may not know is that it is illegal to carry and/or use a fake ID to enter an adults only establishment or purchase items that are only available to people 21 or older.
If you slip by without getting caught using a fake ID, consider yourself lucky. But what if you weren’t so lucky?
Here’s what you should do if you’re caught with a fake ID:
- Give up the ID: If a bartender, bouncer or law enforcement officer orders you to turn over your fake ID, do it. There’s absolutely no ID worth causing a scene over and ending up arrested or taken to a police station.
- Often, if you give up the fake identification card and leave the establishment you illegally tried to enter, that will be the end of the conflict.
- If it’s not the end, you could end up facing more than one criminal charge: it’s not only a crime to carry a fake ID, it’s also a crime to use it. If you end up buying alcohol or cigarettes using a fake ID, you could also be charged with underage possession of alcohol, cigarettes or marijuana if it’s legal to purchase in your state.
- In most cases, being busted for having a fake ID is a misdemeanor offense, and an experienced college criminal defense attorney like Shanlon Wu will work to ensure your punishment is not too severe. Without an attorney, the punishment could range from probation to a few days in jail to a hefty fine, or up to a year in jail or longer, depending on what state you are in.
- In some states, possessing any form of false identification is a felony, which would mean the punishment could be much worse if convicted.
Should you hire an attorney?
If you’re a college student who’s been busted using a fake ID, you could not only face criminal charges, you could also be in violation of your college or university’s code of conduct. This could result in disciplinary action from your school, in addition to criminal charges. That’s why it’s imperative that you contact an attorney if you’re in trouble for using a fake ID.
Shanlon Wu has ample experience in defending college students accused of crimes. Contact his office today for a consultation.
These materials have been prepared by WGW for informational purposes only and are not intended and should not be construed as legal advice.